If you’re one of the millions of people who are spending a lot of time in their homes right now, home improvement projects have probably crossed your mind. Doing repairs and maintenance tasks around the house will certainly keep you busy and at the same time, improve your standard of living.
Now, you’ve developed a knack for home improvement projects and are looking for something more challenging but definitely rewarding, too. How about bringing life to that old tool shed in the yard?
Here are a few ideas:
At some point in your home life, you wanted a shed to keep all your tools in. These tools may be for wood working, gardening, or other activities. But it’s been a while since you’ve used these tools and they’re just sitting there now.
Well, now that you have more time, you can definitely take up the hobby you left. Refurbishing your tool shed is a great start when you want to revive an old interest. And it doesn’t really take that much time or resources.
- Empty your shed – remove all the items inside
- Inspect for damages or wear
- Make necessary repairs – restore the wood if you can. Otherwise replace using new planks.
- Fix the exterior – re-shingle the roof and repair the sidings
- Repaint – add a fresh coat of paint. Use a dash of color to add life.
- Clean regularly.
The will to clean and maintain your shed will depend on whether it stays relevant to you. If it’s a gardening shed, for example, one of the best ways to make sure it’s well-maintained is by actually taking up gardening again and using your tools regularly.
If you don’t really want to take on an old interest, or if the shed in your yard was already there when you moved in and you never really had a use for it, you can repurpose it.
There are a lot of other things you can do with a shed instead of just using it for storage. Plus, repurposing a shed into something more useful will definitely have a positive impact on your home’s resale value.
- Outdoor Dining Area – repurposing your shed into an outdoor dining area can be an excellent idea. Not only will your shed transform into something more beautiful and useful for you and your family, you’ll also have access to an awesome outdoor experience anytime you want. Barbecue Sundays? Great! Romantic Candlelit Dinners? Perfect!
- Guest Room – you can take it to a whole new level and repurpose your shed into a guest room. This will definitely be a big project, but it has the potential to increase the value of your home by as much as 20 per cent. Study the area and evaluate your resources. Do you think you can DIY this project or would you need to contact a loft conversion company to help out. Having another room is certainly going to be a big plus for your home.
Having an old shed just sitting in your yard is not only a wasted potential, it’s also a bit sad. Try out these ideas and breathe new life into that old shed. If you’re thinking about getting a shed, here’s The Spruce with a few ideas that might help, too.