For many times there, we forget about what’s on our heads. Indeed, if there’s a portion of the house that we hardly think about, the roof is top of that list. Far too often, thinking about it is a knee-jerk reaction. So, once the rainwater is dripping from above, that’s the time we take action and get the roof repaired. If you’re not careful though, that small hole in the roof can be a major headache.
There are just too many things that can cause your roof to sport a hole. Powerful summer winds or a storm coming your way can knock a tree branch gouging an untimely hole as a result. It’s why checking the roof after a storm is wise. Sometimes, home repairs could punch a hole in your roof, thanks to a wayward nail. It may not look like a major deal but over time that hole could spell big trouble.
But there’s one thing we fail to notice. More often than not, your roof problems start not when your roof harbors a hole. They begin the moment you chose the wrong material for your precious abode.
Lucky for you, we’re showing you how the best roof materials and paint colors fare in terms of protecting your property. It may not seem like a big deal. But if you make your choices right from the start, you’re looking at cooler days this summer. Here’s a lowdown.
Don’t get lost in the forest. You might be intimated by the ever-expanding choices of roofing materials today. Plus, there’s the tendency to look at the cost first before looking at the roofing material.
What you should know is that the material and the color you choose for your roof matter. That’s assuming you want to minimize your power bill monthly while still giving everyone in your precious abode great comfort.
You may not believe it but the color of the roof matters when you want to minimize your heating/cooling bills.
As a rule, dark colors absorb light. Light colors also absorb light but dark colors absorb more. And as the sun’s light is energy, the more light is absorbed the greater the energy. So in the long run, your roof will heat up faster when its color is dark. As a result, this will heat up the top of your house, your attic including.
It must be noted, however, that the quality of the material also matters for the temperature to vary despite the color of the roof.
Now, light-colored roofing can go a long way in helping you this summer. To note, it has been the traditional choice for hot climates such as the tropics. It’s no wonder the majority of houses in the Mediterranean, Greece, and North Africa make the most of them.
Materials Matter Most
The biggest factor in making your home temperature work for you when it comes to roofing is the roofing material you are using. It’s a vital factor. According to the Department of Energy, your attic temperature can vary to as much as 50 degrees depending on the material used.
Below are some of the most popular roof materials and how they affect your overall temperature:
Right off the bat, asphalt shingles are the most widely used roof material in all of America. But the bad news is this material does not exhibit good reflective properties, no matter the color. That’s because those asphalt granules are bound to diffuse light to every direction.
Experts estimate only about 30% of such light that hits asphalt shingles are reflected. All the rest (about 70%) is absorbed. So don’t be surprised if you feel hot this summer if your roof is made of asphalt shingles.
A good alternative for you is to use metal sheets. It’s no accident metal has been extensively used in jewelry, shipping containers, and then some. First stop, metal roofs exhibit high reflective properties, unlike old-school asphalt shingles. Even if you use dark-colored metals, your roof will still be able to reflect a great majority of the sun’s heat this summer.
Plus, you can raise your metal roofing standard by using custom metal sheets. can come up with stronger, fire-resistant yet lightweight sheet metals that are custom-designed specifically to your need. These leave traditional mass-produced tin roofs in the dust when it comes to quality. Even better, they give you more bang for your buck as they last far longer. Sheet metal fabrication companies
Solar Reflective Shingles
Another good alternative for you to tone down the heat is solar reflective shingles. By design, this roof type will reflect the majority of the sun’s heat back out so your precious abode stays a bit cooler than most. That’s exactly why they’re also called ‘cool asphalt’. As they have a higher solar reflectance, these shingles protect your home, allowing less heat to penetrate your precious abode.
Indeed, if you want to beat the summer heat, taking a closer look at the roof above your head is not only thinking straight. It’s essential for everyone’s joy despite the simmering heat of the angry sun.